- Temporarily deactivated dynamic record tracking on new discoveries whilst I try and resolve the performance issues
- Added support for direct recording of scans from EDDiscovery
- Added new chart to Galactic Overview Page to show Discoveries by their Source i.e. Scanner, Comms Link, EDDiscovery etc
- Added detection of Axial Tilt to the Comms Link and Ship Log Reader as this data is now appearing in the player journal from Elite Dangerous 2.3.10
- Fixed timeout issue when uploading multiple ship logs to the ship log reader. Logs should now be uploaded quickly and then the system should jump immediately to the ship log server page and process them in the background.
- Added ability to sort columns on the Galactic Record List Page
- Added ability to sort columns on the Main Search Page
- Fixed broken links in the Galactic Records which were affecting planetary material records for High metal content planets
- Fixed tooltip on Galactic Overview – Discoveries By Date chart
- Fixed server warnings for deprecated automatic populating of $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA
- Fixed Broken image links on the Comms Link Page
- Added Planetary Materials – now recorded automatically from the Comms Link or Ship Log Reader
- Added New Record Categories for Planetary Materials
- Added New Record Categories for Solid Composition and Atmosphere Composition
- Added New White Dwarf Class D
- Separated out subtypes of Wolf Rayet Stars
- Fixed search bars across the site
- Optimised Delete System routine to avoid timeout errors when deleting large systems
- Optimised Upload to Ship Log reader routine to avoid timeout errors when loading up ship logs during periods of heavy database activity
- Optimised Upload to Multi Scan Job Server routine to avoid timeout errors when loading up scans during periods of heavy database activity
- Optimised Record Tracking system to be more intelligent about which results set to analyse on a per object basis (reduces overall time to record an object and hence speeds up Ship Log Reader and Comms Link processing)
- Fixed drop down widths on selectors across all Record pages
- Enhanced detection routines in scanner to more accurately distinguish between the White Dwarf and Wolf-Rayet subtypes
- Cleanup and organisation of all site media
- Added check for object already existing to objects recorded through the scanner or manually to be in line with the Comms Link and Ship Log Reader
- Excluded Black Holes and Supermassive Black Holes from temperature and absolute magnitude records (does not make sense to include them as by definition they emit no radiation)
- Enhanced animation on Object View page for unique record holders to list out the individual records held by the object
- Added number of days held to Galactic Record List for unique records to help understand how long standing the record is and if it is potentially important
- Added new admin area to manage form entries in a more robust way
- Corrected problem with stretched images in thumbnail images when using non standard resolutions, thumbnail generation now respects original image aspect ratio
- Reworked all page header media across the site to use updated animation code and particle effects
- Redesigned home page animation – added image thumbnails to featured objects
- Upgraded chart generation engine and rebuilt all charts across the site to use the new features
- Fixed timeout issues when uploading super hi res object images
- Added planetary material information to the UI panes of the System Hierarchy Builder and Orrery
- Fixed issue with galactic coordinates being incorrectly recorded for Commanders using the Comms link from a client machine with European number formatting conventions active
- Added distance to Sol to System View and Object View pages
- Upgraded slider animation engine to latest version and rebuilt all animations across the site to make use of it
- Redesigned all scan results animations to be quicker and more succint, also included a look into the workings of the scanner by including cropped image sections in the animation
- Reworked My Discoveries page to use new chart engine and to present information in a more logical order
- Redesigned all research facility pages to now present simply a view of the underlying data and to allow queries to be performed on that data (included new research facilities for orbits, rings, atmospheres, planetary composition and planetary materials)
- Fixed various issues with the rotational period category of records as follows:
- Increased database precision to be able to properly record objects which are spinning extremely fast – less than 0.000001 Days
- Added new dynamic units system to the rotational period records to allow the time to be displayed in Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds or Milliseconds as appropriate.
- Applied dynamic unit system to the Object View page and the Rotational Period record pages to be in sync with the record tracking system.
- Removed the rotational period of 0 for any black holes or neutron stars which were previously affected by this problem so that they don’t show up in the record tracking system.
- Fixed various issues with the surface gravity category of records as follows:
- Fixed code error which meant that low surface gravity amounts were losing precision when being written for new objects
- Excluded any objects which have either a mass or radius of 0 from the surface gravity record tracking system. These objects were previously recorded either manually or from the scanner where the precision on the system map was not sufficient to get a true measurement.
- Fixed various issues with the mean density category of records as follows:
- Increased database precision to accommodate the huge range of mean density values for Stars to cover the most tightly compacted Neutron stars to the gaseous red giants.
- Excluded any objects which have either a mass or radius of 0 from the mean density record tracking system. These objects were previously recorded either manually or from the scanner where the precision on the system map was not sufficient to get a true measurement.
- Cleanup and optimisation of all record view pages ready for 188.8.131.52. Fixed broken global search on some records, updated images, optimised tables, fixed related records not showing all related records, fixed alignment issue on All Records page.
- Fixed issue which was meaning that Stellar rings were not being recorded when submitting through the Comms Link or Ship Log Reader.
- Fixed previous issue which arose when I tried to fix this which meant that asteroid belts around stars were being recorded as rings
- Updated all data to correct the instances where asteroid belts were incorrectly recorded as rings and re ran the record tracking system to account for this
- Added Unknown Reserves type to the possible ring reserves types as ring reserves for stellar rings are not present in the player journal
- Added mapping type for eRingClass_Metalic to deal with spelling error in player journal
- Reverted changes from 184.108.40.206 as these changes were causing issues with asteroid belts being confused with Stellar rings and this issue needs more time to look at.
- Fixed conditional logic on the Edit Object form to correctly bring through the data for Absolute Magnitude and Rotational Period for Stars which have been submitted through the Comms Link Application. Prior to this fix any Stars which were submitted through the Comms Link app and then edited would lose their rotational period and absolute magnitude.
- Fixed an issue which was spotted by Commander Taen where ring systems present around Star type objects were not being correctly recorded through the comms link or ship log reader
- Applied cleanup to some old database tables which have not recieved any attention since release
- Minor fix to delete system routine to ensure system hierarchy status table is taken into account during system deletion
- Changed the Shortest Semi Major Axis record types to now correctly work based on the km value as coming from the Comms Link and Ship Log Reader
- Amended precision level within the database to ensure that Semi Major Axis can be stored correctly between the large range of kilometers to many thousands of AU
- Amended System Hierarchy Builder to now only try and calculate a semi major axis for objects which have been manually recorded or scanned and which have a semi major axis of less than 0.05 AU
- Updated Shortest Semi Major Axis record pages to remove the restriction on having a completed system hierarchy
- Added Release Notes page to the help section to help me keep a better track of what I am doing and to tie in with new git version control
- Minor update to Comms Link to v220.127.116.11
- Fixed a crash on startup which could happen if the Comms Link was incorrectly pointed at the old net logs directory rather than the new player journal directory.
- Renamed Log Folder Location to Player Journal Location in the setup screen to make this clearer.
- Fixed a minor text error when a Hyperspace Jump is detected
- Added experimental support for AspEx
- Increased timeout limit on multi scanner to hopefully address isssue which are now being seen whilst processing .bmp images
- Fixed issue which was causing database errors when comms link was sending bad user login details
- Added The Comms Link to allow scans completed in game to be automatically relayed and recorded at Elite Galaxy Online
- Complete rewrite to the API to make querying data easier and more flexible and to allow external applications to submit scan events from the player journal
- Improved Ship Log Reader Error Handling for Belt Clusters which are not currently recorded at Elite Galaxy Online
- Fixed issue causing slow performance on the System View and sometimes the Object View page
- Fixed issue causing slow performance on the “My Discoveries” and “Galactic Overview pages
- Applied core database updates and optimisation ready to support the v2.0 Comms Link
- Fixed issue with Ship Log Reader letting through incomplete scans (scans completed without a detailed surface scanner)
- Fixed issue with the Ship Log Reader validation routine which was meaning black holes were being rejected due to missing surface temperature. Surface temperature is not missing it’s just 0K.
- Fixed a database performance issue which was causing the Orrery and System Hierarchy to take a very long time to load and sometimes timing out.
- Fixed an issue which was preventing the orrery from generating correctly when the system included objects with very small semi-major axes
- Upgraded core to support 2.0 Comms Link
- Fixed an issue which was preventing the ship log reader from recording details of ring systems if the object had more than 2 rings. Rings A and B were recording correctly but rings C and above failed to record.
- Fixed an issue in the community editing system where it would think the “Has Binary Companions” field had been changed when a community change was made against a terrestrial planet or gas giant. It hadn’t actually been changed, it just doesn’t exist for those object types.
- Fixed issue causing slowdown on load of available orreries page due to missing system image thumbnails
- Corrected solar radius conversion factor from 695,477 km to 695,500km. This change ensures that any stars recorded through the ship log reader will have a solar radius which matches to that shown in the Elite Dangerous System Map view. Change has been applied going forward but also retrospectively to any stars which had previously been recorded through the ship log reader. The galactic record tracking system has been updated to account for this change to the data but looking at the results no individual record holders were affected.
- Increased database field size for ring mass to allow the correct ecording of the most massive ring mass yet recorded at Elite Galaxy Online of 12,212,173,644,234,752.0 MT!!
- Fixed decimal place issue on Coldest Terrestrial Planets record page so that we can correclty see the difference between 20.000000K and 20.002789K
- Changed Ship Log Reader email system to only send email notifications for completed ship logs which have actually had scans found within them to reduce email noise.
- Fix to prevent server breaking issue when an empty log file was uploaded through the Ship Log Reader. System will now detect this correctly and move on.
- Added scanner support for images with a resolution of 2560*1080
- Added experimental api support for galactic records
- Fixed an issue with the Ship Log Reader not recognising atmospheres of type ‘EarthLike’.These should now be mapped to “Suitable for Water Based Life’ as shown on the System Map.
- Added Ship Log Reader functionality to the site to allow player journals to be uploaded and the objects recorded
- Enhancements to the Community Editing system including:
- The time window before a community change is passed to a moderator has been changed from 30 days to 10 days
- When making a community edit, it’s now possible to enter a message for the owner of the discovery explaining your change if needed. This might sometimes help to avoid some misunderstandings around why a change is being made. If an owner, rejects a change they can leave a message as well if they want.
- When editing an object (either through the community edit system or through editing one of your own discoveries), it is now possible to change the class of an object between the three groups of Star, Gas Giant and Terrestrial Planet. The scanner still sometimes misidentifies some terrestrial planets as gas giants and so this should allow these types of problems to now be corrected more easily.
- Added completely rewritten email system to the site which improves the look of the emails but also adds functionality to remotely review community changes
- Multiple scanner improvements as follows:
- Added better error handling on single scans so that rather than just failing with a blank screen, the failure is recognised and explained.
- Added a validation check to check that the object is not “Unexplored”. This will stop the discoveries coming through which have not been fully scanned in game.
- Some improvements to the recognition (still not 100% though)
- Improved resolution support for different configurations
- The scanner now supports bmp images so you don’t have to convert to jpg or png if you don’t want to
- Added ability to delete all scans from your scanner queue
- Added mutiple new White Dwarf classes to the site and associated galactic records
- Completed another rewrite to the galactic record tracking system to make it as efficient as possible ready to support the Ship Log Reader
- Hotfixes to scanner to work with the new (broken) layout of the system map
- Fixed Issue with Advanced Discovery Scanner cropping the image too much and therefore sometimes losing axial tilt data from the bottom.
- Fixed System Hierarchy Builder and Orrery crash caused by special characters existing in Ring names
- Added trim function for images of 3440*1440 resolution to trim down the screenshot to a standard widescreen resolution. This preserves all the important data and prevents the scanner from hitting a memory limit and crashing.
- Fixed bug with scanner which was causing the axial tilt of Terrestrial Planets to not be recognised
- Fixed bug with scanner which was causing the surface pressure of Terrestrial Planets with atmospheres to not be recognised
- Added “Review My Other Scans” button to New Discovery Confirmation page to improve workflow of recording multiple objects
- Re-calibrated the discovery scanner to work with v2.1 of Elite Dangerous. See separate news post for details of some problems which are being faced.
- Added extra validation step to the System Hierarchy Builder submission routine to check if a star with no orbital characteristics exists in the hierarchy and if it does ensure that it has been placed at the top of the hierarchy. This previously caused a crash in the Orrery as the system tried to build an orbit for it with no data available to work with.
- Fixed bug when an existing ring system was edited either by the owning commander or through the community editing system which meant that the ring width was not correctly calculated.
- Retrospectively updated ring widths for any objects affected by this bug and updated the galactic record tracking system to make sure its consistent with these changes.
- Fixed display issue with the unsupported device slider.
- Fixed an occasional crash when launching the System Hierarchy Builder which could occur for large systems with an already existing hierarchy. Crash occurred during the process of rebuilding the hierarchy if a thumbnail image was still in the process of being loaded.
- Fixed database interface to the site from the System Hierarchy Builder and Orrery which leading to server failure
- NEW FEATURE] Added new button to System Hierarchy Builder to allow all objects to be added to the hierarchy in one go. Intended to be used as a way of speeding up building a system hierarchy for experienced users.
- Fixed bug in System Hierarchy Builder where for systems with a lot of objects, the hierarchy section could overlap with the scroll bar section.
- Fixed audio bug which could lead to the System Hierarchy Builder crashing during startup by trying to set a gain value for one of the ambient sounds to a non finite value
- Optimised all shaders in the Orrery to prevent forced unrolling of loops which was causing a lag spike and a sudden drop in FPS.
- Fixed bug in gas giant shader which was creating misshaped storms in the atmosphere
- Fixed bug which was preventing Barycenters from pulsating when in system view mode
- Fixed issue on Orrery page which was causing errors on the database when triggered
- Turned off server side logging from previous zero semi major axis issue
- Fixed issue on System View Page where the lightbox caption for Barycenter images was showing the barycenters internal ID number and not its name.
- Increased number of articles on the Latest News Page from 6 to 15 as the content delivery network now seems to make this possible without much of a performance hit
- Fixed bug with certain text characters causing both the System Hierarchy Builder and Orrery to fail on startup. Now objects discovered by Commander “Chip” Chipperson will work properly ? Bug affected Hyades Sector XV-L b8-6 amongst others.
- Slowed down scrolling speed of object panel for objects with multiple ring systems, was scrolling too fast after previous correction in 1.8.01
- Optimised Close and mid range ambient sounds in Orrery to reduce file size and improve page load time.
- Added extra validation step and message to the hierarchy submission routine to not allow an Orrery to be generated when one of the main stars in a binary system is missing.
- Fixed a bug where all Barycenters added to Elite Galaxy Online were showing as recorded by me! All new barycenters will now be tagged as recorded by their rightful owners and the barycenters created so far have been changed to reflect the correct owner
- [Firefox] Fixed a bug which meant that the date recorded for an object in the hover Panel was showing as Nan Undefined Nan.
- Fixed calculation of small semi major axes in the System Hierarchy Builder to always recalculate on hierarchy change even when a previous calculation had returned a large semi major axis
- Added extra validation step and message to the hierarchy submission routine which can now detect when an object has potentially been dragged into the wrong position from its calculated semi major axis.
- Fixed a problem with the side text panel which meant that for objects with more than two ring systems, the text at the bottom became corrupted
- Fixed the galactic record tracking system so that it updates immediately when a new system hierarchy submission finds a new smallest semi major axis object (going straight into the Orrery after submitting the hierarchy will then display that object as the record holder as oppose to waiting for the system to catch up).
- Reworked the hierarchy submission routine to wait for all database submissions to complete before displaying “Go To Orrery” – possible cause of the main issue described above
- Added server side logging mechanism to track down the root cause of the above issue
- Fixed Issue on System View Objects Table where Barycenters were displayed with internal ID number and not their system name
- Fixed object statistics not fully being cleared when switching between objects in the Orrery or System Hierarchy Builder
- Added the ability to generate and view a full 3D orrery for any recorded system
- Added the system hierarchy builder to allow hierarchical relationships to be built for any reocrded system
- Added new Orrery Guide to the help section due to its complexity
- Applied multiple improvements to the scanner as follows:
- Fixed an issue where the surface temperature of a terrestrial planet would sometimes be split in two if the scanner thought there was an extra space in the numbers.
- Improved processing of images with resolution of 1920*1080 to allow Orange Giants to not be mis-classified as Gas Giants. (Should increase accuracy on 1920*1080 images across the board)
- Fixed an issue where the scanner could not detect negative rotational periods for terrestrial planets
- Improved processing of images with resolution of 1920*1200 to increase the accuracy of detection between 6’s and 8’s
- Fixed an issue where Gas Giants with ammonia based life could be incorrectly identified as terrestrial planets leading to multiple failures with the scanner
- Fixed an issue where the Axial Tilt of terrestrial planets would sometimes be split in two if the scanner thought there was an extra space in the numbers.
- Improved detection of negative axial tilts for terrestrial planets
- Fixed a bug in the community editing system where the surface pressure of a terrestrial planets atmosphere was being rounded to 1 dp. This would then show as changed when in fact it had not been.
- Complete rewrite to the Galactic Record Tracking system to optimise it
- Addition of Galactic Record Lists and Latest Record Breakers
- Ensured galactic records are checked and updated when an object is edited
- Amended shortest semi major axis records to only allow objects which have been included in the orrery to allow there precise value to be calculated
- Addition of White Dwarfs – DQ class and C-J Class Carbon Stars
- Added ability to delete all failed scans from your multi scanner queue
- Optimised scan results screen for cases of missing OCR images
- Added auto refresh to scan job server table to allow commanders to monitor progress through the scans without refreshing the page
- Redesign of the system view page to show graph of objects and Barycenter information
- Enhanced image thumbnails to be clickable and to then display a lightbox with a caption
- Added global search feature to the majority of tables across the site
- Added ability to export your owned galactic records to pdf from the “My Discoveries” page
- Added Ammonia Magma volcanism type
- Added Methane Magma volcanism type
- Added new terraforming type of “This world is being terraformed”
- Added Community Editing system to the site to allow commanders to suggest changes to other commanders discoveries
- Added dynamic menu system which can detect if the user is logged in or not and display only relevant options
- Updated help screen to include Exploration Guide
- Added support for .png image to the manage screenshots functionality
- Fixed bugs with manage screenshots functionality
- Backend server upgrade to support the increased amount of data storage since the release of the multi scanner
- Updated the scanner to work with the new Elite Dangerous: Horizons system map
- Added API support to allow images to be externally loaded onto the multi scanner queue
- Enhanced scanner to improve cases where planets were incorrectly recorded as gas giants
- Fixed issue with scans becoming stuck in the server queue
- Improved failure detection for scans to allow the queue to keep moving
- Enhanced “My Discoveries” page to only show records which are not shared with other objects
- Fix to prevent commanders from accessing other commanders completed scans
- Fixed a bug where concurrent scans launched at the same time could become merged
- Added the Multi Scanner functionality to allow multiple images to be loaded to the job processing queue and then scanned in the background
- Added new commander preferences section to allow Commanders to set their own individual preferences for emails etc
- Added ability to Move objects between systems
- Enhanced scanner to stop mis identifying gas giants icy planets
- Added .jpeg and .png support to the scanner
- Optimised image viewing on Object View and System View page
- Added random quotes to the home page
- Multiple fixes and enhancements to the scanner as follows
- Fixed failure to identify the object type of a single star with no binary companions which then causes all identification to fail. I’ve added multiple points to this section now to reduce chance of failure to incredibly small percentage.
- Quite often some of the numbers are split in half due to Tesseract incorrectly finding a space between the numbers. I am dealing with this on a case by case basis at the minute and have made a number of fixes which will prevent this from causing a problem.
- Sun Glare behind the image. Depending on the location of your object in the system, there can often be a bright star object behind the data which can completely mess with the OCR process. The scanner deals with this by applying a bunch of image pre processing first to completely remove the background objects. A lot of the scans reported as Bad or Malfunction were down to this pre processing not removing the background objects fully. I have enhanced this routine now so it should be able to deal with even the brightest stars.
- Mis identification of planets as gas giants which then cause the rest of the scan to go wildy wrong. I have added multiple extra cases to this part of the logic which should make this mis identification a much rarer occurence.
- Added Galactic Overview Page
- Added Stellar Research Facility
- Added Gas Giant Research Facility
- Added Terrestrial Planet Research Facility
- Added new Galactic Record Tracking system which can intelligently detect when a record is broken and notify the commander
- Added My Discoveries page to allow commanders to keep track of their discoveries and records
- Added image thumbnail generation and embedded in datatables across the site
- Enhanced search page functionality
- Added tracking of Surface Gravity and Mean Density
- Added animation to object view page for any unique record holders
- Fixed bug with scanner which was breaking images if concurrent scans were being performed by the same user
- Enhanced Rotational Period records to use the absolute value to account for retrograde rotation
- Added the following new atmosphere types
- Metallic Vapour
- Added support for high resolutions of 2560*1440 to the scanner.
- Enhanced scanner to deal with extremely high surface pressures which span over 2 lines
- Enhanced atmosphere type detection in the scanner
- Enhanced image processing pass on the scanner
- Added ability to skip discovery scanner animation
- Added support of 4K resolution images to the scanner
- Added the API framework to allow data to be retrieved from the site and for discoveries to be submitted
- Fixed an issue with multi user scans competing with each other
- Added Nitrogen Magma as a new Volcanism type
- Added check to see if system already exists when recording an object and if so, group the new discovery into that system
- Fixed a bug with very high temperature Neutron stars being truncated by the Discovery Scanner
- Enhanced scanner to deal with 1600*900 resolution scans
- Added the Advanced Discovery Scanner
- Added Iron as a new atmospheric composition element
- Added the following new atmosphere types
- Added ability to edit one of your own discoveries
- Added ability to delete your discoveries
- Enhanced screenshot functionality to allow up to 5 objects per discovery
- Amended Orbital Inclination Records to use the absolute value
- Added the following new atmosphere types
- Silicate Vapour
- Fixed bug in urls which was preventing links from working correctly in Firefox
- Added the following new atmosphere types
- Carbon Dioxide-rich
- Added Neon as a new atmospheric composition element
- Changed date formatting convention to be US friendly
- Added the following new volcanism types
- Silicate Vapour Geysers
- Carbon Dioxide Geysers
- Ability to manually record objects at the site
- Inclusion of live Record Tables
- Commander Rankings and Exploration Points
- Ability to add one screenshot against a recorded object